ALCAT ALLERGY TESTING
What is food sensitivity?
The inability to tolerate foods and environmental factors, also known as sensitivities or intolerances, induces chronic activation of the innate immune system and creates inflammation in your body. This inflammation has been linked to countless chronic conditions, including: digestive disorders, migraines, obesity, chronic fatigue, ADD, aching joints, skin disorders, arthritis and many more.
How does food sensitivity differ from classic food allergies?
True food allergies refer to foods that trigger your immune system to acutely produce massive amounts of the chemical histamine. Histamine leads to anaphylaxis. This potentially fatal condition causes your throat and esophagus to swell, cutting off air from your lungs, or it may simply cause hives, skin rashes, and other non-life-threatening reactions. This type of reaction is called a type I hypersensitivity reaction, caused by the degranulation of mast cells or basophils that is mediated by Immunoglobulin E (IgE).
The ALCAT Test differs from other food allergy or intolerance tests. Here’s how:
- It accurately and objectively measures leukocyte cellular reactivity in whole blood, which is a final common pathway of all mechanisms.
- It utilizes electronic, state of the art, hematological instrumentation.
- Standard allergy tests, such as skin testing or RAST are not accurate for delayed type reactions to foods and chemicals. They measure only a single mechanism, such as the effect of mast cell release of histamine or the presence of allergen specific IgE molecules. Delayed reactions to foods and chemicals are NOT IgE mediated.
- Standard IgG tests rely exclusively on one immune pathway, serum levels of immunoglobulin G (IgG). In fact, high food specific IgG titers are indicative only of exposure, not necessarily intolerance. The ALCAT Test reproducibly measures the final common pathway of all pathogenic mechanism: whether immune, non-immune, or toxic.
- It is the only test shown to correlate with clinical symptoms by double blind oral challenges, the gold standard.